Sunday, March 29, 2020

First Week of Distance Learning

Spring Break was 13th-23rd, but as you know... spring break was strange.  I packed up the book fair on Thursday the 12th, made the library look as put together as possible, unplugged everything for the break, and then turned off the lights. I was smart and grabbed about 10 books that I had been wanting to read and headed home.  Our district got the phone call and notification Saturday March 14th.  It was like that snow day phone call.. that you don't really want.. because you like being at school.

I have been practicing the Shelter at Home since spring break started.  Guys.. it is HARD! I know whenever I have a break, I always tell myself I am going to take the downtime to catch up on me.  I am a busy person, but being busy and active makes me super happy. I might be busy, but in all of my busy, I am also very scheduled and have routines.  This COVID-19 has changed all of my routines!

Last Tuesday our district began Distance Learning.  I am super lucky to work in a district that values all of its staff members.  The campus that I am on is a VILS (Verizon Innovative Learning School) That means our school is 1 to 1 devices along with data.  Our teachers are already very versed on using technology in the classroom, but it is completely different to go from in the classroom to all virtual. Our whole district along with so many other districts automatically took on the challenge knowing that we need to continue to ensure that learning is happening.  

Although, as a librarian, I do not have any classes- I have a TON of resources to offer! I am super excited about these resources.. but I am also very realistic at how much I am sending teachers- because you know that they are overwhelmed too!  

Tuesday the 24th- I got my letter board ready to document my 2nd First Day of School in one year! Hopefully this will not be a normal thing.  I then jumped on our zoom faculty meeting and then zoom leadership team meeting.  If I didn't say I was overwhelmed and had no idea how I was going to be useful.. I would be lying! I am a librarian.. and I am supposed to share our resources.. and our BOOKS!

But.. then the second day of  Distance Learning- I had a chance to actually jump into some PLC's for different content areas!

Here is what I have done:
-Recorded a Presentation with Mrs. Long for Virtual TLA (did I mention that our huge conference in Texas was cancelled as well)
-Created a Librarian Tik Tok Group! This is with librarian all over the United States! We will have our first video posted soon.  Check out @Tokstarlibrarians 
-Zoomed with our Middle School and High School librarians to create a plan
-Participated in Virtual Spirit Week
-Created a Lamar Distance Learning BINGO- we didn't use it, but I plan to have it ready to go with summer again
-Collaborated with Social Studies! I can't wait to collaborate on some of their lessons!!
-Collaborated with ELAR
-Worked a virtual library help desk
-Set routines and hours for myself.  Okay- I admit it.. even though I work in the same place I live.. I still am sometimes like 5 minutes late :)

Here is what I plan to do:
-Continue attending PLCs for ALL content areas. During the regular school day it is hard to sometimes get to these! I am appreciating the fact that I actually have a chance to do that now!
-I am going to continue to run my clubs (will be doing this virtually of course)
-I hope to have a Virtual Cub Club soon

As a librarian, I am always trying to change how librarians are viewed. Most libraries are not the places that you hear "shhhhh".  Most libraries check out more than just books.  Librarians are changing the ways we see and access information (not only digital resources- but have you seen the importance of teaching how to check information that is shared!).  I of course prefer to be in the library and popping into meetings and classrooms.  But, right now, I have the opportunity to be even more beneficial as I share the resources that teachers are going to need to ensure their instruction is useful while it being virtual. Is it hard right now.. of course it is.. but it is also giving me a chance to work with all of the content areas! As a librarian, I think our job is even more than important than ever!  No matter how stressed we are, know that we are all in this together! If you need someone to chat with- please feel free to reach out! I hope that all my readers stay safe and well! Take care of yourself not only health wise... but mentally as well! I know that for me to do that I have had to make sure I am staying in a routine.. and setting up a space to work. I am even having a virtual Girl Scout meeting soon! I am having to rethink how I do all the things that make me happy.. but I am doing it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment