Saturday, April 13, 2019

What's In My Bag

The Texas Librarian Association Conference (#TLA19 or #TXLA19) is coming up this next week! I am SO excited about learning and connecting with so many different people.  The Girl Scout in me is always prepared too! I have had the opportunity to attend various conferences over the past 10 years and I have gotten a little smarter each time about what I included in my bag.  Am I going to forget something.. of course? Am I still going to pack too much.. you better believe it!

I started carrying a backpack a few years ago and I love my Ogio (which I also had my logo stitched into it... Horizon Imprinting always does such an AMAZING job)


I usually do take my laptop with me, but end up leaving it in the hotel.  I do this so I can possibly blog or look at various websites on a bigger screen rather than just my phone or iPad.  I remember when I used to go to conference I would take every possible device with me and my bag was SO heavy.. and I would only end up using one device.

Here is what I carry with me in my bag (I am including links when I can.. no I am not getting paid for anything, just what I enjoy using)
-When traveling to conferences, I ALWAYS pack my own snacks.  I usually have a granola bar and some sort of salty snack on me.  I also always pack a few water bottles and diet sodas to keep at the hotel. This way I don't always have to spend the extra money.
-I also always carry my own reusable cup.  I fill this up in the hotel in the morning and then often times will ask the restaurant I might be eating at to top it off. I am a HUGE water drinker, and I love that this keeps my water super cold. I have the Wal-Mart brand and of course have my logo on it.
-There never seems to be enough outlets so I have this Surge protector on hand. I can use it in the hotel room, or I can drop it in my bag during the day.
-I always have a portable charger on me.  I tend to use my phone the most during conferences, and this has been a life saver.  The one I use also has 3 USB hubs.  I make friends with everyone! I charge it in the evenings and then it is ready to go during the day.
-I use my phone for social media, but I have really enjoyed taking my own type of sketchnotes. I LOVE the Sharpie Pens.  These are great because they don't tend to bleed. I have tried the flair pens.. and I love that people use them, they just weren't for me.
-For my scetchnoting I use Canson Mix Media XL from Michaels
-I have one pouch for all my Sharpie Pens, but I also have another pouch full of sticky notes, scissors (you would be surprised how often people ask for these) glue stick, and other assorted pens.
-I take my own coffee coozie (I love a conversation starter and I love when I can promote my super talented friends)
-Business cards (going to these conferences, I also know a ton of people that print off already ready stickers with their information on it for various door prizes)
-Cable and bricks for charging devices
-iPad
-gum
-Medicine! I have my RX migraine medicine, but I also always have ibuprofen, migraine meds, and benedryl on hand (and fingernail clippers) I also carry a couple of oils with me. I have found that when I go to conferences my brain gets super overloaded.. and I get overwhelmed which can lead to my migraines.. so I always have my Tranquil roll-on 
-I also have an umbrella and a sweater (love that my friend Laura made me a specific one for librarians! She also did the logo for my cup.. you can find her at Preserve the Moments)
-Of course I also have Max! Max was given to me by my husband.. and he goes EVERYwhere with me!

What is a must have in your bag? Are you attending TLA? I would LOVE to meet you in person! I will be posting throughout the conference on Twitter and Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment