Sunday, August 11, 2024

Welcome Back to School!

Tomorrow begins my 23rd year in education and my 20th year in my district. My word this year is adventure.. and my theme is Reading Rainbow.


I got a SUPER cute shirt from Keen Bee Studios on Etsy and used Canva to create my station signs.

I am at a new school this year, but every year my goal is to get ALL staff into the library.  Sometimes teachers and staff have the misconception that the library is only for the reading/language arts department.  The library is a HUGE space that is great for any content area.. and as a librarian I can almost guarantee that I have a resource or have access to a resource that will help.  

The first week back to school for staff is a week full of professional development for staff, but usually on that Friday is when staff are working in their rooms or doing all the things they need to do to prepare for students on Monday.  Last year my theme was Library where the adventure begins and I had trail mix stations- You can find that blog HERE  This year- was reading rainbow.

A couple of things:
-My school is 9th-12th
-I have over 230 staff members
-There will be over 2000 students
-I purchased all materials myself (including the gift cards)

For this professional development week I also have a contest going on that encourages staff to follow the library on Instagram and X, check out our premium digital resources and also check out  SORA eBook.

On Friday I invited staff in to grab a cookie (thanks Sam's for being affordable.. since I also work in the evenings I did NOT have time to bake this time.. and there are LOTS more people) and then create their own wooden bead keychain.  When I do activities I try to make them easy.. not take up much time.. and something that people will use.  

I got the idea for the keychains HERE 

At the bottom of this blog you can find my Canva Template that I used for station signs.


Materials I used (and remember- I was purchasing for 200+) also.. I get no commission for these links- just sharing what I used
-Faux Leather String-LINK
-Spacer Beads- LINK
-Black wooden beads- LINK
-Navy wooden Beads- LINK
-Silver wooden beads- LINK
-Keychain hooks- LINK

The first table staff came to they signed in so I could add them to my drawing, and also cut their string. I also had cupcake liners out- because that is a super easy way to hold on the materials.



I had 56 people stop by the library JUST to make a keychain (or that is how many signed in). I know that we have over 200, but I am happy that almost 1/4 made it by.  

My other favorite thing to do at the beginning of the year is to have a First Day of School picture opportunity.  I will be at school uber early and take pics for staff (and students) that want it.  Super easy to do- and a great way to see more people!


I am SUPER excited about being at a new school (although my role this year is one school and flexible floater so I will be supporting all the schools in my district as needed) I of course my friends at my other school.. but I am also looking forward to doing things that a comprehensive high school provides.. I even drug my husband out of the house last night to go to a Vikings Rally.



What are some things you do to invite your staff into the library (also- when I say staff- I mean ALL the staff.. it takes alot of people to make a school run!)


Nimitz Library 2024-2025 Station Signs by akbusybee

No comments:

Post a Comment