Monday, September 9, 2024

Mums the Word

The saying in Texas- Everything is Bigger.  During Homecoming Season- the big thing is the mums!
Just take a moment to search up Homecoming Mums on Instagram and you will see what I mean.
Lots of pictures in this blog to share how I did the Mum station.

I mean- check out our own Big Vik ready for homecoming this weekend.
This is my first year at a new school.. and I wasn't going to do anything except have a station on Thursday that would have hot glue and safety pins for students to use.... but then I saw the TikTok for the Croc Mum.. and then the Stanley Cup Mum.. and I knew that I had to make it happen.

Background on my school:
-we are one of 5 high schools
-there are over 2300 students from 9-12

Background on this program:
-although I have some budget money-it is only available at certain times so I did not use library budget for this program
-Although we have 2300 students- my goal was to have 200 come through
-I was able to get materials by purchasing myself and also I had an Amazon list that I shared so I had donors help
-I am running this program only from 8:00am-8:35am before school starts

Being a Girl Scout leader and some experience under my belt- I create different spaces to pick up materials.  Thanks to my amazing clerk Franco and the yearbook advisor Robison I had plenty of ribbon that was cut out!

When students enter the library I usually have a Google Form for them to fill out.  But, I wanted to capture a little bit more information this time (and also prepare for future programs)
I had students sign in on paper with their Name/Grade Level and then check off if they wanted to do a Stanley Mum or a Croc Mum


Each area had a bucket with certain materials in it.  I also counted and have a spreadsheet of materials so I can keep track (and also document who donated)

Buckets:
-3 inch and 2 inch flowers
-cardstock circles cut to about 1 1/2 inch to 2 1/2 inch depending on which flower was chosen
-blue ribbon in various widths cut to 5 inches
-white ribbon in various widths cut to 5 inches
-specialty ribbon in various widths cut to 5 inches
-chains cut to 5 inches
-various charms

Not everything was purchased and my parents also purchased some things from Hobby Lobby





At each bucket was also a sign for how much materials you needed.  I would LOVE to provide so much more.. but I want to get as many students as I can.  Students can of course take their mum home and add more to it.

Materials
-1 flower
-1 cardstock circle
-2 blue ribbons
-2 white ribbons
-1 specialty ribbon
-1 chain
-1 charm
-1 ribbon for loop or one button for croc

Once students had their materials they headed to the creation station where there was hot glue and also staplers.

Students stapled the ribbon to the cardstock first and then hotglued the flower (I did have them cut a slit in the cardstock for the flower)
They then either added the croc button or the loop for the straw.


Also I had one friend make our logo out of shrinky dinks!

The below Canva designs are what I used for intros and also station signs.

Homecoming Mums 2024 by ANDREA KELLER

Our first day I only had 8 students.. but it is also my first program and kiddos are warming up to me.  I also had some students try to come in at 8:37am which would have made them late for class.  On Wednesday I will also open up to staff.  Today I also had another parent stop by and bring more ribbon... AND cut it for me! 

This week I am also having the Senior LIFE students to come and create their own mini mum.  They will follow the same directions as the students but will have Student Council support them.

I am in love with how they look.. and they don't take that much material!

I have also shared on Reels and Tiktok how to make these under @akbusybee

No comments:

Post a Comment