Monday, September 18, 2023

Hispanic Heritage Month- Alebrijes

Happy Hispanic Heritage Month! I am always looking for ways to engage my students and collaborate with teachers!

Our campus celebrated International Dot Day on September 14th (we didn't have school on Friday). I used this opportunity to collaborate with my art teacher!



The Plan:
-Read The Dot by Peter Reynolds and talked about the importance of making your mark
-learned about Pedro Linares and Alebrijes
-took a quiz to see which Alebrijes would be your imaginary friend
-created paper Alebrijes

I created a Wakelet that had the resources that we used for the lesson. You can find the Wakelet here

Shared this video about Pedro Linares

I am all about sharing our premium resources- and Gale in Context High School had a fun quiz!


When collaborating with my art teacher we found this great website that had paper Alebrijes.  There were a couple of templates on there, but my art teacher created even more.  

While talking with the students we talked about what Alebrijes usually includes 3 out of the 4 elements- air, water, earth, and fire. 



Templates:
-printed templates on different color cardstock
-invited students to choose an animal and set of wings
-put out gel pens and markers for students to decorate
-click on the LINK to force copy the template Thanks to Kathy's Art Project Ideas and Layla Day for the templates

Once completed they make great additions to the library! I have leftover templates in the library for students to do since not all students came through the library for art class.

Alebrijes Templates by akbusybee




I am always looking for a collaborative project! I am already talking to my art teacher about a project in October- and I am SOOOO excited about the project that Rachael and I are working on!  

What are you doing for Hispanic Heritage Month?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this lesson! We did it with our Spanish 1 students and they came out beautifully! Thank you, again :)

    ReplyDelete