Wednesday, May 10, 2023

May the 4th Be With You!

Last week I hosted my first literacy event that was Star Wars Themed.  There are so many different ideas out there- but here is how I hosted my "Jedi" Training. There are lots of links and pictures to go along with this.


I got a ton of ideas from this blog from Lego Librarian 


You can find my Star Wars Jedi Training Station Signs here (Canva Template)

First- I have to share my TikTok because I have to admit it was my cleanest transition yet!


I also had the help of Marie to make this happen!


On May 4th we invited students and staff to wear their best Star Wars attire  (shirt or costume) just no face covering.  The Jedi Training was after school in the library from 5:00pm-6:30pm


Of course, I had to have a voting area- thanks Nicole for giving the idea for voting We went with old-school characters.  I think in the end it was a tie between Chewie and Darth- poor Luke didn't have a chance


This was one of my displays- I got the sign idea from one of the Facebook groups- it says Reading Solo is Dangerous- take a Wookie with you (and then there were Wookie bookmarks)


This station had a QR code that led back to our databases and posed the question of what was an interesting fact that they learned about Star Wars- and then use a dry erase marker to write on the board.

Picklebums had a Build Your Own Star Wars Droid.  I printed off copies of these and invited attendees to create their own Droid.

I also found printable bookmarks that attendees could color.

You can find the I Spy  printable here 

I loved this decodable message station and will probably do something like this throughout the year.

I also had regular games set out throughout the library for students to play.
This was the Light Saber Training- I created the Light Sabers out of pool noodles that I cut in half and added duct tape.  The mission was to see how long they could keep the "Droid" (balloon) in the air. I had some students set up obstacles with some chairs.


At the end we also had a Read Aloud of Are You Scared Darth Vader by Adam Rex


I also had a station that invited attendees to put themselves into a Star Wars scene using a Canva Template.

Will I do this again- absolutely.  I think I had 7 attendees and also 5 staff that came and participated.  The high schoolers that attended were totally engaged and did the stations. At the end of the evening, I also had free books to give away.  I LOVED having conversations with these kids! I had some elementary school kids come and they walked away with picture books.  The high schoolers that came walked away with books they would enjoy.  I also have some high schoolers that have children of their own- and they walked away with board books for their little ones at home.  

Do you guys do anything for May the 4th?  My next blog is about what I plan to continue next year as a high school librarian. I can't believe that is already May and that this school year is almost done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment