Sunday, September 13, 2020

Dot Day- Virtual Programming

One of my favorite days of the year is coming up (wait I lied.. I have LOTS of favorite days.. okay wait.. almost every day is my favorite day..I digress)

International Dot Day is coming up! Dot Day is based off the book The Dot by Peter Reynolds and it is all about making your mark and seeing where it takes you.  We are in a time period where it is even more important for us to think about the mark and stories that we are making.

I of course have lots of favorite days, but my favorite thing about being a librarian is the programming that I am able to do (of course I love reading too) but giving students, staff and community a chance to participate in activities is my FAVORITE thing!  

Being virtual just has made me think differently how I am going to reach the people that would usually be inside the library.

Mrs. Fitz posted a great idea on her Instagram page, and I took that idea and ran with it!  For the month of September I have created Try It Tuesdays.  Now, when we go back to face to face, this might change.. honestly I usually have activities going on in the library in the mornings and the afternoon.. so just doing one day a week is making me a little sad (I am human.. I might be positive almost all the time, but that doesn't mean that I have done my own bit of grieving.. and I grieve a little bit every day)

Our First Try It Tuesday is going to be create Circle Paper Planes. Of course I am going to read the Dot (and be wearing dots) and then we are going to make Circle Paper Planes over a Zoom meeting at 3:45pm.  I have promoted this Try It Tuesday through our Canvas Course and school social media outlets. Although I hope that hundreds of my students show up to this virtual event, I will be happy with 2. That means there were at least 2 students that needed this type of activity (or knew that I needed someone to show up)


I also posted this in the Canvas course so they can have materials ready.  I did not ask for RSVP's because I thought that might turn some of my middle schoolers off.  The zoom link is listed in our Canvas course and a waiting room has been enabled.  I will also have my amazing clerk checking names of students before we let them in. You can find the Circle Plane directions here

For all the Try It Tuesdays I tried to keep materials SUPER easy and what students probably have at home.  For the origami one at the end of the month, I will probably have a supply pick up.  I am also taking advantage of our public library YouTube videos for both the Kawaii Coloring and Origami.  I have done the Kawaii coloring with my Girl Scout troop- and they LOVED it! Thanks Irving Public Library for great videos

One of my pet projects have been my Cub Club. Many of our students have younger siblings that are not kinder age.  Cub Club is a story time for 2-5 year olds.  During Cub Club we sing songs, read books, and do activities.  SO, on Friday we are having our first virtual Cub Club!  This event parents had to RSVP so I could have activity packs ready.


This Cub Club will be focused on Being Yourself (also- I had 10 families RSVP.. and of course I realize that not all families will show up) After they RSVPed, I sent an email thanking them for participating, a list of materials they would be getting, and a reminder- that this is a great time to work with your child and there might be some bumps along the way (so thank you for your patience!)


Cub Club (it might not go completely in this order.. and there are links for each one
-Hello Song- Rose Oyamot Rodriguez is AMAZING!
-Friend Sign Language
- Dot Headband (sentence strip with dot stickers
-The Dot Song by Emily Arrow
-The Dot Bookmark (we used some sequins, cut a square in a notecard, and contact paper)
-I will change the world- coloring page and hand cut outs




I know that we are all trying to figure out the best way to reach our library users and that it is tough.  I also know that programming makes my heart SUPER happy.  How are you reaching your readers? I have also tried to start posting on Book Talk Tuesday and What are you Reading not only on social media (TikTok/Instagram/Twitter) but also the Flip Grid that I created.

These could totally be a flop, but I also know that if I don't offer these types of programming- I won't ever know!

Stay safe.. and BE YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment