Saturday, May 9, 2020

There's No Place Like Lamar- Teacher Appreciation During a Pandemic


I LOVE helping plan teacher appreciation week.  It makes my heart so happy to help celebrate such amazing people!  I mean- these are the same people that gave me a WHOLE parade for Librarian day! You can find my TikTok here of it and a video of the whole parade here.  I think it is SO important to celebrate people and what they are doing!
Before Spring Break- we had already set down and planned teacher appreciation.  Then March 14th we knew we weren't coming back.. so April Richmond and I were on the case and got it planned!

Also- I LOVED watching what all the schools were doing! There were so many amazing things happening to remind educators that they are so important!

We created most of our items in Canva- April made them look AMAZING!
We started our planning through Zoom and collaborating on our Google Doc and I do believe planned out a fantastic week!

Monday we sent out a link to staff to invite them for myself and Richmond to take photos or family "porchtraits" The week before we had also asked staff to send us pictures of when they were little! Richmond created our own Munchkin Land game in Kahoot and we had a staff get together on Monday afternoon. We will be working on Porchtraits through the end of the year.


Tuesday- Was a little of a flop.  We invited people to add words of encouragement to a Google doc.  I think if we had sent it out earlier- it would have worked better.  
Wednesday- We invited staff to take it outside!  On Monday we told staff they might need some side walk chalk.  Our amazing art teacher did some sidewalk chalk art for us to share so people could get an idea.  We started a zoom call and people chatted as they created.   Just having the chance to chat without the expectations of meetings is always nice!  Staff had their own kids helping on the call! April put all the artwork into a slide show to share with staff.








Thursday- Thursday was my FAVORITE day! We aren't Lion, it takes Courage to Teach Virtually!  If you know me.. I am a question asker.. and I usually have people tell me questions to ask!
So, when we first started planning this all we had the toughest time thinking of what we could do for this.  Our mascot is the Lions, so this saying fit perfectly.  SO, we decided to go on an email, Instagram, Twitter campaign! I emailed some of my friends and LOTS of celebrities.  My Instagram DM box has SO many messages of people that I emailed.  Our email campaign included the information that we are working on Teacher Appreciation and our mascots are the Lions.  We talked about our theme is Wizard of Oz and could you send us a few words of encouragement that we could share with staff.  Oh My Goodness!! When people opened up the video, they say it was over 8 minutes long.  I know that is super long.. and I even had staff tell me- I was not ready to watch an 8 minute long video.. but they did :) I am SO thankful that all of these awesome people responded with words of encouragement.  This is the one that made my heart the happiest! My personal love language is words of affirmation.. and this video filled all those boxes!!


Friday- With the help of Irving Schools Foundation and Lamar PTA we invited staff to Ease on Down the Road to Lamar to enjoy Kona Ice! April and I got to school early along with Officer Todd to make sure that we had cones set out.  We followed all the Physical Distancing Rules. This has been hard on everyone.. but one of the things I have missed the most is actual physical humans.  We are doing a great job as a staff doing the things we can virtually... but actual interaction is what we all need!
We also had staff submit their favorite motivational/upbeat songs for the end of the year to Ease on Down The Road to. I pay extra for Spotify, so I LOVE making playlists! You can find our Lamar is Oz Mazing List here

Irving ISD teachers were also treated to lunch from the Irving Muslim community on Friday! I had the BEST lunch, and I am so thankful to this group that has done so much for our community in so many ways!

We also picked up our Spring Creek certificates too!


What a different teacher appreciation week this was, but I am SO thankful that we figured out how to still do some fun things!  I LOVE the school I work for!

Next blog- all the things that I have been doing as a distance librarian! Although I prefer to be a librarian in an actual building.. I am thankful to be a librarian that can work anywhere and share all the resources that we have in this new online world!

Here are some of my past teacher appreciation ideas:
-80's Theme
-Hollywood
-Best in the World
-Camp Lion
I have also done a Seuss theme, Super Hero, and 50s theme :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your poster design! Do you have it for sale as an editable? I would buy it if you did for our Teacher Appreciation week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. If you want to enhance these photos, here I found a post including many AI photo enhancers for help: Top 10 Free Canva Alternatives for AI Photo Enhancement

    ReplyDelete